Blueprint For an Even better Idaho
My Promise To You
In each county, I share my Blueprint for an Even Better Idaho. It outlines the promises, vision and plan that will allow us to thrive as families and small businesses throughout this great state.
Everywhere I travel on the campaign I share the same promises — promises I hope you hear so many times you can recite them by name — because they’re promises I’m making to you as an Idaho voter:
Why Tommy for Idaho
I believe in the strength of the individual and personal responsibility. I believe in the limited role of government. Like all Idahoans, I have the same can-do spirit of action, not words. That’s why I’m running for governor, with a conservative blueprint for building an even better Idaho.
Overview Blueprint for an even better idaho
Small Business The economy in Idaho rests on the backs of small business.
- Create the environment for small businesses to thrive and create good-paying jobs
- Eliminate burdensome mandates and regulations on small business
- Streamline, innovate and create a culture where the departments of state government serve our people and small businesses
- Strengthen the culture of entrepreneurship in Idaho by promoting and assisting the interactions between research, technology, industries and capital
- Develop the vision and plans for investment in critical infrastructure needed to protect current industry and to unleash the modern economy in Idaho
Tommy for Idaho Small Business in Idaho
Education Education is the foundation of our economy
- Define clearly student achievement in Idaho as reading proficiency by third grade, math proficiency by eighth grade, high school graduation and career readiness
- Create line of sight between Idaho Kids and Idaho Jobs by engaging industry with our schools
- Ensure coordination and effectiveness between the State Board of Education and the Department of Education
- Reduce by 25% the number of state mandates to our local school districts
- Increase school choice options in Idaho
Tommy for Idaho Education, Idaho's Future
Healthcare Access and affordability of healthcare is critical to the families and businesses in Idaho
- Become the model for conservative health care reform in the United States
- Fight to bring back the conservative principles of the doctor-patient relationship, access, personal accountability, transparency of costs and free markets in healthcare
- Reform Medicaid to include personal accountability, eliminate waste, fraud and abuse and use taxpayer dollars more effectively
- Say no to the federal government on mandates that have made insurance unaffordable in Idaho
- Work with health systems and insurers to create transparency for the pricing and options for healthcare in Idaho
- Return to a high-risk pool for those who qualify to help lower insurance premiums for Idaho families
Tommy for Idaho It is time to stand up
Tax Reform Tax policy drives business and jobs in Idaho.
- Begin by spending our tax dollars more effectively by identifying 100 million dollars of wasteful spending in the first 100 days
- Reform our tax code to make it more fair, flat and simple for Idaho families and businesses
- Set a hard cap on spending tied to personal income that will truly limit the growth of government spending
Tommy for Idaho Idaho Tax Reform
Term Limits and Ethics Responsive, citizen-based leadership is critical to a strong Idaho.
- Limiting executive statewide elected officials to eight years (two four-year terms) will help ensure that Idaho has the future we all deserve
- Increased accountability by requiring elected officials to disclose of their sources of personal income
- Protect taxpayers by requiring a full disclosure of state-funded travel outside of the state
- Public officials should not use their elected or appointed positions to leverage big payouts in the private sector
- Ban all campaign contributions during the legislative session
Tommy for Idaho A Crash Course in Ethics
blueprint a closer look
Tommy for Idaho Focused on the Issues
As a doctor and builder, Tommy knows regulations hurt our economy. That’s why he will fight to rein in the EPA, stop Obamacare and eliminate burdensome regulations.
For eight years, Barack Obama forced us to operate under a regulatory environment that goes against the very heart of our free-market economy. He failed to understand that the proper role of government is to be limited and local. Obamacare has been a disaster. The Obama administration stifled growth, and they discouraged innovation. They regulated businesses out of business.
It’s been an attack on the spirit of entrepreneurship. As your governor, Tommy will fight to limit government, get rid of excessive and overreaching regulations and reform our tax code to spur job creation.
As a father and a doctor, Tommy believes that life is a gift from God. Tommy will always defend the sanctity of life. As our governor, we can count on him to always be a
Some of Tommy’s fondest memories of growing up are of hunting with his father. As a lifelong hunter and gun owner, he will defend and protect our Second Amendment rights. He will oppose any legislation that weakens the constitutional right to bear arms by responsible, law abiding citizens.
Tommy knows Idaho’s farmers and ranchers are key to our economy. That’s why he will always fight to keep government out of our agricultural industry.
Tommy will listen to our local farmers and ranchers because they know best how to manage their lands. They don’t just help Idaho’s economy, they feed our nation and the world. Tommy will fight the Washington bureaucrats who want to control our water, or regulate things like dust, and who must be stopped dead in their tracks.
Tommy knows preparing Idahoans for success is a top priority. As our governor, he will take a new approach by creating partnerships between local businesses and our schools to ensure that our graduates are prepared for good-paying jobs in our workforce.
Tommy believes that marriage should be the union of a man and a woman. As our governor, he will support policies that promote and safeguard the traditional institution of marriage.
Idahoans—not the federal government—know best how to manage our public lands and find solutions that maintain access. By sharing the recreation and enjoyment of our public lands with our children, they will learn to appreciate and protect the beauty of Idaho. Our public lands belong to all Idahoans, and Tommy will fight to ensure our access and that they remain public.
One part of Tommy’s plan to cut $100 million in wasteful government spending is for the state to self insure the public employee health insurance plan. This reform does not change plans or benefits to state employees nor does it raise the cost of the employee premiums. The elimination of wasteful spending will not come at the expense of state employees or their benefits. The majority of states and large businesses self insure. You can read the report prepared for the state here: Milliman Self Funding Study.
29 states are fully self-funded, including Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Idaho and North Dakota are the only two states that don't have some sort of self-funding option: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-employee-health-benefits-ncsl.aspx#Self-fund
INL is a critical piece of our Idaho economy. Having witnessed first hand the cutting edge technology, research and work done at the lab, it is second to none in the world. I will make it a top priority as Governor to work with INL and all key stakeholders to continue to expand its mission and protect Idaho’s best interests. Additionally, the potential is unlimited between the lab and now three Idaho institutions of higher learning nearby to continue to connect Idaho kids to Idaho jobs. We must hold the federal government accountable to the '95 agreement and now with President Trump and Secretary Perry, we have a real opportunity to work closely with DOE to improve, update and protect Idaho’s position on the agreement.
As Governor, I will work closely and respectfully with the Attorney General, who is a dual signer and responsible for ensuring the agreement is being followed, along with working closely with INL, DOE and our congressional delegation to improve, update and protect Idaho’s position on the agreement and to continue to expand the mission. I believe that with strong leadership and continued collaboration among all the stakeholders we can protect Idaho’s best interests and expand the mission of INL which is crucial to the future of our state.
HAVE A QUESTION?
How Can I Get Involved? Help to create an even better Idaho.
Your donation goes a long way to help create opportunities for us to work together to build an even better Idaho.Click here to donate
We are always looking for people willing to work with Tommy as he strives to build an even better Idaho.volunteer today